PROGRAM QUITO – COTOPAXI – QUILOTOA – QUITO
(2 DAYS – 1 NIGHT)
DAY 1: QUITO – COTOPAXI – QUILOTOA
We depart from Quito early in the morning. We’ll go through the famous avenue of the volcanoes towards the Cotopaxi National Park. The activities here include a visit to the local museum where we can find all the geologic and the chronologic information of the volcano. Next, we’ll do a hikking activity around the “Limpiopungo” Lagoon (12500 f.a.s.l.). If the weather and the road conditions allow us we’ll drive to the parking lot located at 14765 f.a.s.l. so we can admire the impressive canyon that reminds us of the wild geologic past of this volcano. If we climb a little more we’ll have the opportunity to see the glaciers first hand and enjoy a hot drink at the "Jose Rivas" shelter at 15.750 f.a.s.l. From this point we continue our trip for a quick stop for lunch. Before reaching the Quilotoa we’ll pass by the indigenous town of Zumbahua enjoying of a terrific landscape in the road and surrounding areas. Here we’ll spend the night.
DAY 2: QUILOTOA – QUITO
After breakfast we’ll go for a hike taking the trail to descend to the Quilotoa Lagoon (12790 f.a.s.l.) As we descend through the trail we’ll be able to admire the beautiful turquoise color of the Lagoon. We’ll also see shepherds hailing at us before reaching the shore of the Lagoon. It is optional at this point to ride a boat around the lagoon. Next, we’ll hear an ample explanation of the geologic history of this area before returning to our transportation. We can either take a steep way back or we can hire a mule, donkey, horse assisted by an indigenous person from the area. On our way back to Quito we’ll make a quick stop in Tigua in order to admire their naïf paintings and for having lunch of course. We’ll arrive in the afternoon to Quito. END OF SERVICES.
NET PRICE PER PERSON:
- Single room sumplement US$ 10.
WHAT IS INCLUDED:
- Private Transportation
- Lodging in a room with private bathroom (Quilotoa Lodge; it is the best one of the area). If the clients would like to spend the night in a indigenous cabin you can deduct $10 per pax; however, they only provide shared bathrooms and poor infrastructure.
- American Breakfast
- Excursions with a bilingual guide Spanish /English
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED:
- Drinks in general Tips (guide/driver)
- Lunch (average price from $ 6 to $ 10)
- Dinner (average Price from $ 6 to $ 10)
- Entrance fee to the Cotopaxi National Park $ 10.
- Boat renting at the lagoon $2 per person
- Mule/donkey/horse renting $ 5 per person
- Personal expenses